Monday, September 24, 2012

Weekend Review: Throwing a Color Party!

Hello, hello! I hope your weekend was fabulous, mine certainly was. :)

When I learned one of my besties was pregnant way back at the start of the summer, I started thinking about throwing a color party! I had only heard of one, so I wasn't quite sure of the details, but I knew in my time of need, Pinterest would come through me for me, and that it did. At acolor party, also known as a gender reveal party, guests find out whether the baby is a boy or a girl! There are different ways to do it, but we decided to fill cupcakes with either pink or blue frosting so the guests would find out when they ate the cupcake! It was sooo much fun to plan, going with a pink and blue theme for everything from decorations to food! I'll post some pictures after I tell you of all the details :)

We headed back to CR on Friday night to watch my younger brother-in-law play football, then went to my in-laws to finish up the party preparations! As much as I try, I'm not exactly skilled in the fine motor department, so my options were either A. spending 5 hours frosting 40 cupcakes that would end up looking like ruins of ancient cupcakes or B. convincing my soon-to-be sister-in-law (so many dashes!) to help me with her skillful, master-froster hands. Of course I went with option B! Thanks to Natalie, we got 40 cupcakes filled with the secret-colored frosting and frosted on top in only an hour! I will give a shout out to my hubby as well, since he did melt the almond bark for me to dip the pretzel rods in. ;)

Saturday morning I was up nice and early, making puppy chow (the last pre-party food prep) before my COLD run! I headed out at 7 am with the thought that my running tights and long-sleeve shirt+sweatshirt would be PLENTY enough clothing for my run. After all, it was 40 degrees out, not -26, and I'm not THAT big of a pansy (...)! That is, until I turned onto the road and was hit in the face by the 25 mph winds. Apparently I haven't heard of the life-changing information available on the weather channel ;) Oh well! With the exception of my icicles (previously known as my fingers), I warmed up around mile 2. :) Word to the wise, don't forget your running gloves if you are going on early morning runs these days! Unless you aren't a pansy. Then feel free to run sans gloves. ;)

I'll skip the next part of the story since it is unrelated, which is when Riley and I ran around town with my oldest brother, trying to find the right part to fix our car (why go to a mechanic when your brothers charge free ninety nine?) and get right to the pre-party segment! I got to Hannah's about 3 hours before the party, so we had plenty of time to chat, hang up adorable pink and blue pom poms and streamers, pop popcorn, and take family photos (that is, the couple+me). Enough delaying, check out the pictures! :)


You had to cast your vote!

Clearly everyone thought it was going to be a boy...

Drumroll please...its...a....


GIRL! (just the top frosting was blue, squint to see the pink in the middle!)

HOORAY! It was such a blast, the group of girls was awesome! If there is one thing I miss about Iowa City, it is the people. But by next summer, Hannah, Phill and new baby girl will be in Des Moines, and I'm sure that adorable baby will draw everyone to move to Des Moines too (that's our master plan at least)!! Nobody will be able to turn us down :)

I'm off to eat dinner with my hubby (it is our one weekday dinner together!), I hope you liked my party sharing :) I'll be back soon with a workout AND a recipe, double whammy!

--KQ

No comments:

Post a Comment