Sunday, September 9, 2012

One Last Summer Fling (well, salad)

Ahh, Sunday evenings. Always a little bittersweet, aren't they? Trying to enjoy the last bits of the weekend without thinking about the forthcoming Monday is quite a balancing act, but I'm killing it today! We had a wonderful weekend in our old stomping grounds (Iowa City, that is) with all our fave people and Iowa football, of course. With the NFL getting rolling today and the Packers losing, it has been quite a good day! (minus my fantasy football team performing sub-par...) Plus, my kitten (Rory) is super cuddly since we ditched him this weekend, so he's purring on my shoulder as I type :)

I thought I'd share this salad I devoured with lunch this summer, since it still isn't too late to buy a nice, juicy watermelon! I believe I found the original recipe in Eating Well magazine, and just added and subtracted as I pleased. Feel free to do the same :) This is super easy and you can make as little or as much as you'd like! If you add some chicken or grilled fish, it can even stand as lunch by itself!

Watermelon salad with mustard vinaigrette dressing
serves 2

salad:
2-4 cups any greens you want! (I like baby spinach, yay for vitamin K!)
2-3 slices watermelon, chopped into small pieces
1/4 cucumber, chopped into small pieces
feta cheese

dressing:
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1-2 teaspoons yellow or spicy brown mustard (depending on how much you like mustard!)
1/2 teaspoon basil (i used dried but fresh would be yummy too)
pepper to taste

Combine dressing ingredients in small container with lid and shake to mix well. Toss salad ingredients together, sprinkling feta cheese on top. Shake dressing one more time to ensure it is well mixed before drizzling on top of salad. Eat up!

Okay, I'm off to enjoy the rest of this Sunday evening with my hubby, Rory, and some Modern Family episodes--an epic trifecta :) But before I go, a cute kitten picture? Fiiiine, if I must ;)

 
 
 
Okay, I'm done being that pet owner that forces you to look at pictures of their pet looking all cute and such, I promise! Make the best of the rest of your Sunday evening :)

--KQ

No comments:

Post a Comment