Tuesday, September 4, 2012

To: Exercise Hater. From: Exercise Lover

GAH!! I 100% failed at blogging lots last week! I must take the opportunity to blame myself for that until Thursday, where I will begin to blame Mediacom for having a lengthy "outage" for Internet. Easily my all-time favorite company. ;) Anywho, I'll catch up from my lack of blogging last week in this one! Let's break last week down into a few categories, shall we?

1. Things I Learned Last Week

A. if your car dies and you begin biking everywhere, you feel both awesome (for saving the world, one less car on the road at a time) and hungrier. 13 miles a day + the usual running caused constant hunger!!
B. once you start biking everywhere since you are sans car, when you get the opportunity to actually drive somewhere, you feel all lazy. It is weird.
C. i take having Internet access for granted. :)

2. Things I Did That Were Awesome!

A. went to a wedding, yay!! It is the only place you get to do the Cupid Shuffle, and it felt so right to do it again.
B. saw a bestie!! Minnetonka treated me well :)
C. went paddleboarding! Have you ever heard of it? You stand up on this big surfboard and balance as you paddle with an oar (just like in a canoe). It is a great core/arms workout, and you use all leg muscles to stabilize yourself as well! We went right after running, and after the hour of paddleboarding I was feeling the back to back workouts! If you get a chance, you definitely need to try it.
D. drank Dunn Bros. coffee-yumsville!

3. Things I Wanted To Share On Here But Didn't (Couldn't?)

A. The Starbucks in Targets have started this thing where they stamp your receipt and you can go back for any drink you want for $2 in the next 14 days! So it is like the treat receipt but has more longevity, aka it is way better!

B. If you decide to start working out and haven't done anything physical in a month (or 20), I suggest not starting out with the new exercise fads, such as Insanity. Why you ask? I am a total fan of hard workouts, but the trend seems to be that it is too much, too fast for those that haven't been working out and they either can't do it, do it but get injured, or do it but give up quickly because it is too hard and they can't stick with it. Instead, I suggest walking or jogging, doing some circuits, or playing tennis or any outside sport that involves moving a lot! It is way better to work up to hard workouts. I promise you can still get a good workout without starting out doing 100 squat jumps or running a half marathon ;)

C. Whether you are a novice to exercise or not, one thing to note is your heart rate. Many cardio machines, such as ellipticals, trick you by putting two heart rates yours should be between; the "fat burning" one or the "cardio" one. Contrary to what the machine implies, it is not better to be at the fat burning HR than the cardio HR. At the fat burning HR, your body is using fat as the main energy source, but once you are up at the cardio HR, your body uses carbs for the main energy and uses less fat. However, you are using up more energy at that level, so your overall amount of fat used is actually still higher when you are at that higher cardio HR. I know its a bit confusing, but the easiest way to think about it is you are burning more calories overall at that "cardio" level, so aim for that!! :)

Those are a few of my exercise tips (and coffee inside scoop) for the day, but let me know if you have questions related to anything with exercise and I will help as much as I can! I'll be back very soon (promise) with perhaps a goody to share--you'll have to check back to find out!

Have a fabulous start to this shortened week :)

--KQ

No comments:

Post a Comment