Monday, August 27, 2012

Cheers to Monday (and to rhubarb)

What a crazy weekend! I can't believe its already Monday again. I may or may not (okay, I definitely did) have slacked off on blogging last week--my sincere apologies for dropping that ball. Alas, I shall try to provide awe-inspiring posts all this week to make up for it. :)

My husband's company picnic was Saturday, and everyone had to bring a dish as usual to a potluck. Riley suggested we buy bags of chips (I was semi-mortified he seriously thought I'd consider doing that, then his sassy grin reassured me he knows me better than that), so instead I said I'd make one of his faves, rhubarb crisp. I LOVE RHUBARB!!! It is so tart and tangy and perfect for baking, I've never ate it in a dish I didn't love. Did you know rhubarb is technically a veggie, but the United States called it a fruit as of 1947? So I guess it just does double duty, no big deal. There is my Wikipedia lesson for the day :) Back to the rhubarb crisp. I already had a recipe I had healthified, so there wasn't much work into making the crisp besides finding some rhubarb at the grocery store. As usual, the original recipe I found had loads of white sugar and unnecessary amounts of butter, so I had to tweak that to healthified perfection. Here is my recipe!

Rhubarb (and a little strawberry) Crisp
servings: 4-5
calories per serving: 142

1 cup strawberries, cut into small pieces
2 cups rhubarb, sliced thinly (~3 stalks)
1/3 cup white sugar (if you're looking to cut calories or just aren't a white sugar fan, you can use 8 packets of Truvia instead!)

topping:
2/3 cup oats
1/8 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. melted margarine

Spray a 1.5 quart dish, then mix up strawberries, rhubarb and sugar and spread in bottom of dish. For the topping, melt the margarine and mix it into the brown sugar and oats, then crumble it over the top of the rhubarb/strawberry mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, until the top is looking golden brown and the fruit is all bubbly and delicious-looking! Enjoy warm :)

I hope this recipe converts non-rhubarb lovers, and renews the love for those of you who have discovered it's deliciousness and versatility. :)

My kitten is protesting against my lack of all attention on him, so I'm off to attempt to tame him (though my previous attempts have been futile). I'll be back in the next day or two to talk tips for those who are novices to working out! :) Enjoy your Monday!

--KQ

No comments:

Post a Comment