Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Wednesday Workout

Bom Dia! (I took some Portuguese in college, but recalling how to say more than "good morning" is a struggle right now!)

It is already Wednesday? Geez, days go fast sometimes. However, I've got some free time this morning, so I plan to use my time wisely, being productive and whatnot. :) Among my productivity, I must include a sad task--buying a new running watch. Sigh. Last night, an alarm went off on my beloved tap running watch, and when I pushed a button to turn it off, it went crazy!!! Next thing I know, the time said 47:00 pm (which I'm certain can't be real), and it was releasing a high-pitched squeal...that never stopped. About twenty minutes later (aka 47:20 pm), my husband and I realized that our attempts to stop the squeal were futile, and we hid the watch deep in a closet with towels, hoping we wouldn't be able to hear it. So, long story short, I must get a new watch. For now, I'm wearing my husband's (because I literally can't go a day watch-less), but it looks a bit large and masculine on me. No worries, at least I know what time it is at ALL times! :)

Do you ever have one of those days where you feel like you need to get some strength work in, but don't have a long enough period of time to head over to the gym to lift? Alas, we all struggle with that. Enter: at-home workout sans weights! If you do this circuit with little rest between each exercise, you'll also get your heart rate up, and work on your cardiovascular system a bit as well as your muscles! :) You can even do this while watching TV (TADA! No more unproductive TV watching!)

Living Room Circuit

20 pushups
20 forward lunges (10 a leg)
10 burpees
20 toe touch crunches
20 tricep dips (hands behind you, fingers facing towards your legs)
10 triangle pushups (index fingers and thumb touch to form a triangle)
20 one-legged v-ups
20 curtsy lunges (step behind you as if you are curtsying)
10 elbow-to-hand planks (start in plank position on elbows, push up to hands, then back to elbows for one rep)
20 donkey kicks (10 a leg)
20 plie squats (feet wide)
20 tricep dips

Repeat one or two times, depending on the length of your TV show :)

I'm off to drink more coffee (imagine that?!) and be productive,let me know how the circuit goes if you do it! Next time, I'm sharing my healthified zucchini bread recipe, get excited!

--KQ

3 comments:

  1. please define a burpee for those novices like myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sorry about that! A burpee is a full-body exercise that has a few steps involved. Here it is in order:
    Starting in a standing position
    Jump up, reaching hands overhead.
    Squat down to put hands on floor.
    Jump feet back so your body is in a straight line (like a plank)
    Do a pushup
    Jump your feet back towards your hands.
    Stand up and jump again to start the next one.

    You can also do these on a bench or windowsill if you are just starting out and can't do the pushup part on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing- If you can't jump your feet back and forward to begin with, it is okay to modify it to step back to the plank and then step forward again when you are getting up. Just work towards the full burpee! :)

    ReplyDelete