Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Homemade Hot Cocoa

Happy Wednesday! This week is going fast, and guess what? There is a possibility of SNOW in the DSM forecast for this weekend, eeeh! So. Excited. I'm one of those people who is cold all the time, whether it is 50 degrees or -20 degrees out, but that doesn't mean I need 60 degree days in December. It just feels wrong! Snow seems like such a vital part of the month of December, similar to the way coffee is vital to any morning ;) Keep your fingers crossed for flakes!

After yesterday's absurd warmth, I wasn't feeling much in the Christmas spirit after work (I haven't even put decorations on our tiny little tree! Its awful, I know) and decided I could use a cup of cocoa to feel a little Christmas-y while catching up on Parks and Rec. I was feeling creative and decided to skip the prepackaged hot chocolate mix I usually use. I whipped up a cup and hoped for the best; it worked! It tasted good and it was more fun than ripping open the package to dump it in a cup. ;) Let me know what you think! You can make this with milk or water, I'm one of those weird people who like it better with water (I know, it really is unusual). Don't forget to use a really cute mug, it is 100% necessary in order for the recipe to be as delicious as possible! Here's one of my faves, the chip has a story and gives it character ;)



Cinnamon Hot Cocoa
serves: 1

1 cute mug (100% necessary for the recipe to work ;) )
8 ounces hot water or milk (I used my tea kettle to heat water because its fun!)
1 tablespoon cocoa (I've heard this comes in dark as well...yum)
1/2 cinnamon stick
2 teaspoons sugar or 1 1/2 packets stevia

Put the cocoa, cinnamon stick and sugar/stevia in the bottom of your cute mug. Heat your water or milk and pour into the mug. Mix really well and drink while watching one of ABC Family's Christmas movies!

This was completely successful in getting me in the Christmas spirit! I woke up this morning totally ready to brainstorm my Christmas gift ideas (I take gift giving seriously) and find the box of decorations I put somewhere when we moved... ;) Plus, it is rumored Elf is on again today on ABC Family, so fingers crossed I'll catch some of that! I love that movie, but who doesn't??

I finished my article for Tehrene's amazing soon-to-be-in-print magazine, Love Twenty! I'll share the recipe soon, or perhaps you'll even see it in real life in her magazine. :)  Check out the website, it is one of those magazines you're going to want to read monthly! Have a lovely Wednesday, friends :)

--KQ


1 comment: