Sunday, December 16, 2012

What's for Dinner? Healthy Stew!

Hey there! It is Sunday and I'm blogging?? Well this is a rare occasion, isn't it? :) If you're focused on getting to the buy one, get one free deal at Starbucks between 2 and 5 (it is the last day!) and don't have time to ponder what to make for dinner, I'm here to help! I found this recipe in Family Circle magazine and edited it slightly. You can make it in the crockpot or just on the stove. I made it on the stove because I decided last minute I wanted to try it on Friday night and it was so delicious! It is packed full of sweet potatoes (which are great for you) and can easily be made vegetarian by taking out the pork! Bonus; it happens to be gluten free (unless you eat cornbread with it, then it isn't! teehee)! :) Anyways, here's my version!

Chipotle Pork and Sweet Potato Stew (crockpot version)

Servings: 4

2 boneless pork chops, cooked and cut into small pieces
1 tsp chipotle chili powder (spicy chili seasoning will work as well)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 green pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin pieces
1 cup frozen corn (canned will work)
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth

Season pork chops with half the chili powder, half the oregano, and the pepper. Cook on medium heat until browned on each side, about 5 minutes a side. Meanwhile,  add the onion, sweet potatoes, garlic, green pepper and corn to the crockpot. Season with the other half of the chili powder, the oregano and the cinnamon. Add the chicken broth. Once the pork chops are done, let them cool a bit then cut them into small pieces. Add the pork chops to the crock pot and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours, until sweet potatoes are nice and soft. Dish it up and love it!

Nutrition per serving: 217 calories, 3 g fat, 14.5 g protein, BONUS 438% Vitamin A!

This is one of my new favorite recipes; if you like sweet potatoes, please please try it and let me know if you love it too! Well, I must let you get back to your day, plus I should get back to putting off wrapping Christmas presents ;) I hope your Sunday afternoon is super cozy and relaxing!

--KQ




No comments:

Post a Comment