Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A.M. Workouts and Breakfast

Hello there and happy Tuesday! My apartment is currently 82 degrees, but I'm not complaining one bit due to rumors of snow in a few days. Say what?? Cross your fingers that isn't real. Anyways, how was your weekend? I spent mine in good old Iowa City! There were so many friends I went to school with there it felt almost the same as it did when I lived there; besides not having my own apartment, that is. ;) I also heard a few confessions from friends that they had read my blog and I was SO excited!! Shout out to all those secret blog readers, I totally appreciate the love. :)

So exercise. When do you do it? Everyone has their favorite time of the day to work out, and a least favorite time too. I prefer after I've been up for at least an hour, or in the middle of the afternoon (I have years of track practices to thank for 3 pm runs). But you won't ever find me running at 9 pm in the dark; not just because I'm not a night runner, but because I hate the dark. Studies have shown people who exercise in the morning report better sleep than those who work out right before bed, since you're much more alert after working out and your body probably doesn't feel like sleeping right away. Other studies (I promise I'm not making this up, just Google exercise studies to find millions! :) ) have shown the brain is more alert for several hours after exercise, which might benefit your work day. However don't worry, night exercisers, I still believe in your daytime alertness!

My personal opinion is the best time of day for you to exercise is the time you're going to be able to make a habit out of! If you loathe getting up in the morning more than anything, perhaps try an afternoon or after-work time to exercise rather than 5 am. On the other hand, if you are exhausted when you get off work, struggle to stay awake past 9 pm and don't mind popping out of bed, morning workouts might be your thing! Either way, what is important is getting into a habit of incorporating exercise into your normal schedule.

If you are starting into morning workouts or already do them regularly, its important to eat breakfast after! The 30 minutes after you finish working out is the optimal time to eat something to help your body recover. The preferred ratio between carbs and protein in your recovery meal/drink is 4:1. This article on Shape Magazine's website has some great information in it if you want to learn a little more!

Oatmeal has a lot of nutritional benefits and is a good option for breakfast. A serving has 27 carbs and 5 grams of protein, so it doesn't quite hit the 4:1 ratio. However, add in some peanut butter for a few extra grams of protein and the good fats (or even some walnuts and blueberries) and you are pretty set. Oatmeal has a significant source of fiber as well, which keeps you feeling "full" instead of starving an hour after you finish eating.

More questions or things to share? Let me know! In the meantime, head outside for a walk/jog/game of tennis/swing at the playground and enjoy outdoor exercise in this warmth! I might head to the swings myself ;) I'll be back soon with a recipe or a workout to share, we shall see which it is. :) Chao!

--KQ

No comments:

Post a Comment