Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Do Slow Cookers Really Make it all Better?

Hey! Gosh it has been too long; I've missed blogging! I've been using up all my typing on lab reports and other way less fun activities that require typing. But I'm back with lots to share!

This last weekend was a bit crazy. I broke my car, Riley fixed my car, I tossed butternut squash and apples in the slow cooker and it changed everything, I took zucchini noodles to another level (hold for that recipe in my next entry!), and I made apple crisp with wild rice...mind.blown. Oh and I guess I wrote a lab report but let's not talk about that.

The weather finally took a turn towards fall, so the view out my window is blustery and overcast but my grass is sprinkled with yellow leaves and I love it so much. So along with my sweaters and boots I pulled out my crockpot to let it do its thing. This recipe is made with pork chops, but my gut instinct tells me it would be good with chicken too, or just the squash itself. Butternut squash is worthy of standing alone, am I right?? Thank goodness for squash in all its varieties, its too good to not eat weekly (daily?)!



Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Apples & Butternut Squash
Serves 3

3 pork chops (bone-in or boneless, your choice)
half of a 2-3 lb. buttnernut squash, seeds scooped out and cut into 2" wide chunks (think the same size as if you quartered a potato)
1/4 of a yellow onion, sliced into strips
1/2 cup 100% apple juice (not from concentrate)
1 cup water
1/2 Gala or other sweet apple, chopped into small chunks
1/8 cup dried cranberries
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1/2 tsp. savory
1/2 tsp. sage
pinch of thyme (or 2)
salt and pepper, to taste

Add pork chops, squash chunks and onion to slow cooker. Pour in apple juice and water. Add apple chunks, cranberries and seasonings to top of pork chops and squash. Cover and turn on low for 6-8 hours. Revel in the smell of your home for those 6-8 hours and enjoy!

Nutrition (1 pork chop and 1 cup squash): ~275 calories, 6 g fat, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein and lots of vitamins (from the squash)

This prep is super quick and its great for those days you want a healthy dinner ready IMMEDIATELY when you walk in the door, starving. :)

I'm so sorry for my long absence, I'll be certain to come share my new zucchini noodle recipe very soon, rather than in two weeks! Enjoy the blustery fall day; I'm pairing mine with elbow patches and coffee. ;)

--KQ




1 comment: