Saturday, March 29, 2014

Allergy-Free in NYC

Its Saturday and I'm blogging!! You never know what to expect these days eh? I've got a few too many things on my get-done list but I wanted to pop in and say hello, its been too long!! During spring break (perks of grad school--back on that college break schedule!) I found myself and Riley in NYC, wandering about and loving it. We also got to see the one and only Tehrene, aka my brother-in-law's girlfriend, aka the best hostess/tour guide in the world!! After going on a run in Hoboken (where she lives!) on the edge of the city facing NYC, I can see why people live there. Talk about the best running view ever.

I won't bore you with every minute detail of our adventures, but thought I should definitely share some great gluten-free restaurant options if you ever visit and some fave pics from the trip!

The view from the top of the Rockefeller Plaza.



One World Trade Center- truly amazing.


1. Nizza. This place had a cozy atmosphere, with wine bottles lining the walls and ceiling and a delicious menu, whether it be GF or full-of-gluten ;).

2. Dorado Tacos. We found this while looking for a quick dinner during our wanderings. They had the best tacos/chips/guac and it was cheap too!! Nearly everything on the regular menu was GF as well (so exciting)!

3. The Cuban. The night we journeyed to Hoboken, we meandered through the cute downtown area, in pursuit of gluten-free menus. After three fails (and quick escapes from the restaurant), we found this packed restaurant with live music in the bar area. We had to wait awhile for a table (turns out the place was featured in NY Times and you must have a reservation!!) but it was so worth the wait!! Their was not a gluten free menu, but the wait staff was very knowledgeable of what was okay and what wasn't. Our waiter even knew to tell me certain things may have cross contamination!! I was super impressed by him and the amazing food.

4. Prodigy Coffee. This place was around the Greenwich area, with an adorable wooden sign hanging outside and a crisp, we-brew-stellar-espresso atmosphere inside. The barista was awesome and the coffee was perfect for sipping on a bench outside in the cool evening (Tehrene also has photography skills- darn her and her talents!! ;) ).

5. McGee's. This is the pub and restaurant McClaren's is based off of in my all-time favorite show, How I Met Your Mother!! The menu had drinks based off the show (yes, The Slutty Pumpkin was included) and the bartender was friendly and laid-back. The bar was full of regulars and red cushioned booths just like McClaren's; needless to say, I loved it!!!

Oh, just sitting on the Brooklyn Bridge like its any other Thursday. 

6. Friedman's Lunch. There are a few locations around NYC, and we ate at the one in Chelsea Market (which is awesome in itself, I highly recommend visiting!!). They had everything marked GF, plus a separate dedicated fryer, etc. and I had the most delicious quinoa-veggie bowl everrrrr. Riley had a bacon-grilled cheese sandwich that looked bomb too, so even if you're gluten-friendly, I recommend you try it out!

Lastly, I had to do a handstand in Central Park. Why? Because life is too short to not take advantage of any handstand moment you're given, obviously. ;)

Okay, okay, I'm done going on and on. When I return, I'm bringing a delish recipe with me, woohoo! Back to that get-done list, I suppose... enjoy the sunshine!! (I recommend handstands in the snow-free grass, but that's just me ;) ).

--KQ

No comments:

Post a Comment