Friday, March 7, 2014

Granola!! (of the allergy-free sort)

HAPPY FRIDAY!! Fridays always deserve all caps...always. That goes into my list of random truths, along with others, such as:

-There is no such thing as laughing too much (despite what your 6th grade teacher claimed. She was wrong.)
-When you can't remember the last time you drank anything but coffee, you need to have a cup of water. Or seven.
-Pretending to forget to stretch after running doesn't make you more flexible; it makes you hobble like an old woman.
-The need to practice handstands everyday is completely rational.

...and so the list goes on, but I'll cut myself off at the handstands. ;) I hope your week was rad! If it wasn't, you've got the whole weekend to make up for it! If you've got a few hours on your hands and you want to feel super cool and budget-savvy, I suggest you make this granola. It makes a huge batch and the greatest part is its ridiculously adaptable! I can't have nuts, so I subbed in seeds, quinoa, etc. If you can have nuts, feel free to use whichever you please! Just keep the ratios the same and you're golden. The recipe I based this off of used coconut instead of the apple/raisin mix I used, which I imagine would be divinde. Use your imagination!! (By the way, I'm no food photographer. Its a crappy picture; you're just going to have to take my word for it that its good. ;) )

Oat-Free, Nut-Free Granola
Adapted from GI365

Makes 5 cups

Granola
1 cup pepitas (shell-less pumpkin seeds)
1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup dry roasted hemp seeds (you could use unroasted as well!)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup ground golden flaxseed
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 apple, chopped into raisin-sized pieces
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Date Paste
2 ripe bananas, chopped into slices
8 pitted dates, sliced into quarters
2 tsp. chai spices OR 2 Tbsp. liquid chai concentrate
1 Tbsp. water (omit if using liquid chai concentrate)
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F. Mix the granola ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. For the date paste, combine all ingredients into a food processor (I used my Magic Bullet) and blend until smooth (there will be slightly large pieces of date after its all blended). Add the date paste to the granola bowl and mix until the granola is evenly coated with the paste. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 1.5-2 hours on the shelf closest to the middle of the oven, turning the granola every 20 minutes so it cooks evenly. Once the granola is crunchy, turn off the oven and leave the granola in the oven until its all the way cooled. This is what gets it to the perfect crunchiness (I learned that from GI365!)! Store it in lidded containers or a sealed plastic baggy (you can also freeze it).

Yes, it looks like bird seed. Yes, its delicious as cereal. Any other questions?? :) I'm off to be social & see my husband; have a stellar weekend!!

--KQ

1 comment:

  1. Haha, Fridays definitely deserve all caps and I love your list of random truths!

    The granola looks really good! I've always loved granola but have never made any myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete