Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Less Cash on Laundry Soap... More for Coffee

Why, hello! Happy Wednesday to you, as well as happy feels-like-spring! I've been an Iowan for long enough to know I need not consult the weather channel to realize this lovely weather is bound to be short-lived. Instead I leave my down coat in the closet and run blissfully through the water-logged streets with 6 less layers than usual! I hope you're celebrating in similar ways. ;)

Today's recipe is weird in two ways; firstly, its old-school, in that this has been around for years. Secondly, its not a food recipe! I know, I've got you stumped this time. Alas, today I'm sharing the laundry detergent I've been using for the better part of 10+ years. Along with my ridiculous food allergies, I've always had issues with allergic reactions to soaps/lotions/laundry detergents...so my mom, being brilliant as she is, started making laundry soap rather than trying to buy one that would fit the bill! It worked splendidly, and its crazy cheap. Like, $1.50 for more than 6 months worth, cheap. No jokes here! Just think of the extra coffee you could buy with the money you save, am I right?!

There are loads of DIY laundry soap recipes (here's an example!) out there (no pun intended), but this is the one my mom has always made. This is the powder version, though you can cook the soap down with water and mix it into a gel if you prefer liquid. Put it into whatever type of container you'd like, though obviously the mason jar is pretty cute, right?



Sensitive-Skin-Friendly Laundry Soap

1 bar Fels-Naptha soap, grated finely (you can find this at Wal-mart in the cleaning supplies section)
1 cup Arm & Hammer washing soda
1 cup Borax

Grate the bar soap, then mix it with the other two ingredients in a large bowl or Ziploc bag. Pour into whatever cute container you choose, then measure out 1 teaspoon per load of laundry. That's it!!!

So easy and so cheap. You get the insane urge to high five yourself after you spend the 4 minutes making this (I suggest you follow through with the urge)! Major props to my mom for her DIY brilliance all those years back (and now, too. She made me this pouf as well!!)

Happy money-saving!! I'm off to be studious (wish me luck).

--KQ

No comments:

Post a Comment