Wednesday, May 22, 2013

No-Bake Cereal Bars

Happy Wednesday! If you're week isn't going the best, I've got a few words to perk it up; three day weekend! :)

So I should mention something. I'm currently supposed to be avoiding all gluten and dairy products while I await test results for celiac disease/casein allergy. Obviously that knocks out a huge list of ingredients for cooking. However, my hubby still eats all the products I must avoid, so my cooking only kind of changed. I still make things with gluten and dairy, I just adjust my own! So, if you notice a recipe says gluten free, etc. don't think I jumped any "gluten is the source of all evil" bandwagons, because I totally didn't. I'd eat it if it didn't make me sick! :) So no judgment on gluten free oats, okay? ;) Enough about me!

I bought some cereal (no surprise there). Sadly, it was the first bad gluten free cereal I've tried. Adios to a good four dollars. Then I told myself, surely I can use this in another way! Intro: cereal bars.

We've all had rice krispie treats, right? This is in the same family, minus the marshmallows and plus some other stuff. ;) These are higher in fat because of all the different nuts in them- but don't forget, healthy fats are necessary, not the devil. You can customize these however you'd like, from different cereal to different nuts and extra add-ins! I feel they are breakfast worthy, as well as any-other-time worthy. I made this batch in a 9x5 pan for testing purposes, but if you'd like to use the more standard 8x8, take each ingredient x 1.5 and you're set! :)

No-Bake Cereal Bars
makes 6 in a 9x5 loaf pan

2 cups cereal of your choice (I used peanut butter puffs)
1 Tbsp. crushed pecans (or whatever type of nut you want to use)
1 Tbsp. roasted unsalted sunflower nuts (same as above)
2 1/2 Tbsp. natural creamy peanut butter, melted
1 Tbsp. honey (this would be vegan if you used agave instead)
optional: sprinkle of unsweetened coconut
optional: sprinkle of freeze-dried fruit (I used raspberries) or raisins
optional: chocolate chips (aren't they always an option?!)

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, add cereal, pecans, sunflower nuts and any additional goodies. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt your peanut butter (I did 20 seconds on power level 6 in my microwave). Add the honey to the peanut butter, then pour into the large mixing bowl. Stir everything together until the peanut butter has coated everything somewhat evenly. Spray your pan and press the batter into the pan until it forms an even top. Cover and eat later or cut and eat now. :)

A little close-up so you can see the raspberries and such

Nutrition (without chocolate chips) of one bar: 114 calories, 8 grams fat, 1.6 grams fiber, 5.5 grams sugar, 3.8 grams protein

I'm thinking I could adapt this recipe into one with oats rather than cereal, too. Quaker chewy bar style, perhaps??

Have a wonderful, whimsical Wednesday (I kind of reached for that one, didn't I?)! To better alliterations. ;)

--KQ





No comments:

Post a Comment