Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tabata Style?

'Ello!! Happy Tuesday-that-feels-like-Monday, aka the added bonus of three day weekends-the week is one step ahead of you! ;) I hope you all had a wonderful long weekend, and paused your game of bags for a moment to appreciate those who have served our country.

So...we bought a house! EEEK! We started off our weekend with a house purchase Friday afternoon, and we cruised through the weekend on clouds of happiness! :) So long, quiet living room workouts! I can stomp around without bothering anyone (besides Rory, but he doesn't count) in my house. ;)

Also. I broke down and bought some coconut butter! I found it at TJ Maxx for cheaper than online (though still super expensive in my opinion) and it is quite wonderful if you are a coconut lover. Its got a similar texture to peanut butter aaaaand it smells/tastes like coconut paradise. You can use it however you'd like; so far I've found its delish in oatmeal, on apples and bananas, and on a spoon for my mom to try. ;) Here is the brand I currently have!

In other news; I tried a tabata workout! Have you heard of this?? Its basically 20 seconds of doing an exercise, 10 seconds rest, repeated. You can read more about it here! The better shape you're in, the longer you'll need to do the 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off to reach a maximum exertion. I decided I wanted to try one last week, so I wrote one myself and to my delight I was sore from it the next day! Mine ended up being 28 minutes total, and I dragged myself home from the nearby park afterwards. :) I got my inspirations from this workout-the Fit Sugar website has others too! Here is my own version.

P.S. I saw this and found it hilarious and perfectly fitting for this workout. ;)
(Credit to http://www.crossfithyannis.com/wp-content/uploads/Burpees-Dont-Really-Like-You-Either2.jpg)

Tabata Workout
supplies: none
space: living room if the weather is bad; otherwise someplace outside! (Don't forget your sunscreen!)

Do each exercise for 20 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds. Repeat two more times (3 times total). Then complete the strength exercise before moving onto the next set. If there is no strength exercise, rest 20 extra seconds.


  • Jumping jacks
    • 20 hip-ups after you complete the 3rd set
  • Mountain climbers
    • 10 reverse lunges each leg after 3rd set
  • High knees
    • 15 squat to standing, holding onto feet the entire time
  • Burpees
    • rest 20 extra seconds
  • Donkey kicks
    • rest 20 extra seconds
  • Speed skaters
    • 20 slow bicycle crunches each way
  • Plank jacks (alternate between plank on hands and plank on elbows)


One time through this will take between 13 and 14 minutes, depending on how long each strength move takes you. If you finish and you aren't super tired, try it one more time! :) Let me know if you have any questions or if you love and/or hate this workout! Now go find the perfect workout spot. :)

Enjoy this beautiful evening!

--KQ

No comments:

Post a Comment