Thursday, September 12, 2013

Every Party Needs a Dip

Heeelllloooo and good day to you! I'm ridiculously happy but probably won't apologize for my unnecessary exclamations throughout this post (or maybe I'll apologize just a little). ;) I ended up with the day off, and the weather is beautiful! Within seconds of starting my run this morning, I remembered (as I do every fall) one good thing that comes of summer ending; better running weather! Just two nights ago I ran at 8 pm and it was still 90 degrees outside, so 70 this morning felt glorious.

Another reason for my (debatable) overuse of happy adjectives? This.


Me. Iced coffee. And a box of California avocados and oranges, from my aunt's trees, shipped to our house! For real! When I first learned she had avocado trees I nearly drooled daydreaming of plucking avocados from my own backyard. When she told me she had too many to stay ahead of eating, I pleaded my case of helping her take care of that problem. Voila--avocados. Eek!!

Alright, enough about me already!! On my last post I promised a dip, and I have returned with the dip recipe in hand; gluten, dairy and egg free! It came out super delicious and I'm really pleased with it! Plus, there are tons of ways to vary it if you have your own favorite things or want to make it even more layers! Sweet potato in a dip might sound crazy to some, but if you've ever had these you know sweet potato is amazing in all types of dishes! P.S. I made a mini version for the pictures (and my lunch), so don't let that tiny ramekin confuse you!

Healthy Layer Dip 
Makes 1 9-inch pie pan; serves a crowd (it depends on how hard your guests snack...)

2 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed (a butternut squash will work too!)
cayenne pepper
paprika
red pepper flakes
1 ripe avocado
2-3 large tomatoes
salt
pepper
1 large bell pepper or 5-6 small sweet peppers*, chopped into small pieces
1/4 of a yellow onion, chopped into small pieces
salsa of your choosing (I like any from TJ)

*color of the pepper(s) doesn't matter; you can use your favorite or a variety to make the dip even prettier. That is, if you like pretty dips.

Optional add-ons (not all vegan): shredded chicken, beans, beef...the list goes on!

Directions:


A. In a small pan, saute the peppers and onion with a little olive oil over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, then set aside.

B.Mash your sweet potatoes into a thin (think 1/2 inch) layer on the bottom of your pan. Season with

cayenne pepper, paprika and red pepper flakes to your liking. The more seasoning you add, the spicier it will be!

C. Slice your avocado into very small chunks and spread on top of the sweet potato layer. Make this as thick as you want.

D. Dice your tomatoes into small chunks like you did with the avocado and add on top of the avocado. Season with a little salt and pepper.

F. Add another avocado layer if you find ways to add avocado to anything/everything, like I do.

G. Pour your favorite salsa on top, making it as thick as you like!

That's it! This dip doesn't take more than 15 minutes and it can be served with a variety of food; veggies, tortilla chips, pita chips or crostinis if your bod doesn't hate gluten, the list goes on!

Serving suggestion. ;)

Now you're ready for those parties and potlucks and tailgates (go Hawks!) that come along with fall, and I enjoyed a scrumptious lunch. Its a win-win!


I'll leave you at that, and I'm already dreaming up breakfast recipes with my wild rice (shout out to my hook-ups in waaay northern MN!); get excited!! Peace and love (and kittens).

--KQ



No comments:

Post a Comment